El Paso International Airport (IATA: ELP, ICAO: KELP, FAA LID: ELP) is a public airport located four miles (6 km) northeast of the central business
district (CBD) of the City of El Paso, in El Paso County, Texas, USA.
The city of El Paso had originally constructed the El Paso Municipal Airport at a location close to the East Side of the Franklin Mountains in 1928.
The airport was abandoned by 1965, and in more recent times has been home to the Jobe Concrete Products "Planeport" cement factory.
The El Paso International Airport was originally constructed as Standard Airport, constructed by Standard Airlines in 1929 for transcontinental air
mail service. Standard Airlines became a division of American Airlines in the 1930's. In 1936, American Airlines "swapped" airports with the city of El Paso,
and the El Paso International Airport was born.
In 1934, Varney Speed Lines—now known as the popular airline Continental Airlines—operated its service in and out of the old El Paso Municipal Airport
(now closed). In 1937, the airline moved to Denver, Colorado when Robert Six took over the airline.
Historically, Continental Airlines had a significant presence at the airport. It provided "Golden Jet" service to such cities as Phoenix, Los Angeles,
Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Midland-Odessa, Dallas Love Field, Austin, San Antonio and Houston. Before deregulation in the USA, El Paso was a focus city for
Continental Airlines, however El Paso was soon demoted to a standard station in a hub-and-spoke system under Frank Lorenzo's leadership of the airline.